.

But, as the passage proves no hindrance
__To the spirit unappeased and peregrine
__Between two worlds become much like each other,
So I find words I never thought to speak
__In streets I never thought to revisit
__When I left my body on a distant shore.

-T.S. Eliot, Little Gidding II, Four Quartets

Monday 14 November 2011

MANITOU POEM

To enter this world was to step into, not out of, the real world.
 - Selwyn Dewendy, The Sacred Scrolls of Southern Qjibway

So I must stand away from the stone to enter the stone,
to dream the idea of the stone, the stone which is all stones,
_______ the first and final stone,
its source being, its manitou.

As in puberty I dreamed my lifelong protector, who showed me
how to navigate impossible rivers, who made me as the world's
________first person, breathing
fire and poetry.

The strangers who divided the world into good & evil were wrong.
The Great Lynx Misshipeshu who dwells beneath ambivalent water
________is both benevolent
lord, and devil.

And I am become the powerful dreamer who dreams his way through
to reality, to enter and ignite the stone, to illumine
________from withing
its perfect paradox, its name.

No comments:

Post a Comment